Friday, March 6, 2015

Preparing for #DLDay






Last year, I was honored to present at Digital Learning Day in Washington at the Library of Congress. I had my presentation and all of the tools: littleBits, rovers, student work examples, and the ever so important stack of business cards. Truth be told, I felt incredibly bare. Student work, and the impact of great partnerships, needs to be shared by the students. I showed the pictures and videos of the high school students building their rovers and collaborating with their elementary students, and guests at my station were, at least superficially, impressed. Nothing I said about how great it was for the students to explore local habitats with student-created rovers could have really captured the excitement, the joy, and the learning I saw in the high school and elementary school students in Ms. Bugge's and Ms. Rizziello's classes. As the groups left, I exhaled and hoped I had done the program, and the students, justice.

This year, I am heading down to DC with an army. My amazing group of 6th grade Maker Ambassadors will be leading the discussion on ways to have a student-centered classroom, how to embed activities that develop growth mindset, and how the maker movement inspires creativity. I will not need to speak about student voice because their voices will be heard. Nothing makes me more content. There will be no need for me to chime in with my opinions about how technology can transform learning experiences. The teachers will hear it first hand from the students, the modern learners, who crave these opportunities. The students will be leading the show on, well, how they are leading the show in our classroom. I help them on their journey and get out of their way. It's what I have always done as a teacher. This year, the students will be on the stage as the world listens. I will be there, continuing to support, motivate, empower, and smile proudly as their guide on the side.






No comments:

Post a Comment