Friday, March 6, 2015

How to Explain Growth Mindset to Students

Growth Mindset is a great new way of looking at things that can have amazing effects on classrooms and learning.  For all the teachers reading this post, this is how it can be explained in a way that's easy for even little kids to understand.
Growth mindset is the opposite of fixed mindset.  With a fixed mindset, you think that your brain can't change and you  can't get any smarter.  If you fail a math test, it's because you're stupid, not because you didn't study or hadn't learned it.
Meanwhile, with growth mindset, you believe that the brain can get better, stronger, and smarter.  Guess who's right?  The second person!
For an easy way to see how a growth mindset can be beneficial, check out this simple chart.


Mindset
Fixed
Growth
Thoughts
I can’t change my mind
I can’t get any smarter
My brain is changeable
If I challenge my brain, I’ll get smarter
After a tough math test...
I didn’t do well on the test.  I’m stupid
I didn’t do well on the test.  This is something I need to work on
Actions
Cheat, don’t study because they believe it won’t help
Work hard and believe they can do better next time
The Outcome
Bad Grades
Good Grades

No comments:

Post a Comment