Friday, April 3, 2015

Washington DC Reflection

The trip started with an anxious wait in school, an EXTREMELY long train ride, and the world's longest tour of practically every single monument in the entire District of Columbia. Along the way, we....er....*stole* the monuments (*cough* *cough* Phanishree *cough* *cough*). Then came the awkward dinner, where we poor kids were surrounded by a bunch of adults. The food was great (TIRAMISU), and we got to meet a bunch of people. Fast forward to the next morning. We woke up early, rushed over to the convention center, and ate a quick breakfast, while being stalked by a camera/recorder/wifi thingy. Fast forward another hour. We stood at our booth, explaining the Maker Program and what we do. Since we were the only kids there, we attracted a lot of people to our booth (we were also the only booth with gumdrops and balloons!). It was interesting teaching teachers, and having them listen to us. We also met Daisy Dyer Duerr (Ms. Southern Charm), and spoke with her, though we didn't realize it at the time. Then came the part I was dreading. The interview with Bob Wise. I made Sunny to promise to drag my body off the stage if necessary, rehearsed what I was going to say in my head, and went back stage. I actually got makeup smeared on my face (powder), and was given a microphone to use. Bad idea. I was trembling as I slowly made my up onto the extremely bright stage, and sat down next to Bob Wise. I felt like I was in a dream. I was there, speaking in front of 5000 people, yet I felt like part of me was watching elsewhere. This was probably a good thing, since it prevented me from panicking too much. Now that I think back to the event, I am surprised that I ever got the courage to get up on that excessively large stage, and speak in front of everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment